Dressing up in costume is a ton of fun and this is the time of year for getting silly and spooky. Want to transform into a zombie or vampire before your friends’ very eyes? Decorative special-effect contact lenses are a great way to achieve this effect BUT did you know all contact lenses, including special-effects contacts, require a valid contact lens prescription? If they haven't first been properly fitted to your eyes, even wearing FDA-approved lenses can be dangerous!
Since we are eye care professionals (and your eye safety is a really big deal to us) we want to remind you that improper use of decorative contact lenses can lead to serious eye injuries.
Please follow these guidelines before you put anything on your eyes:
- Visit your eye doctor for a contact lens exam, fitting, and prescription (regardless of whether you need vision correction).
- Buy contact lenses from a licensed Eye Care Professional that requires you to have a prescription. Never buy contact lenses from an unlicensed source that doesn't require a prescription. Doing so greatly increases your risk of serious eye problems.
- Always carefully follow your ECP's instructions for wearing and caring for your contacts.
- Never share your contact lenses! Sharing contacts can spread harmful bacteria and may result in serious eye health problems...including loss of vision.
- Remember decorative contact lenses are typically designed for daily wear only and are not to be worn overnight.
- Wear only hypoallergenic and non-toxic makeup. For removal, use eye makeup remover or cold cream, not soap.
- If you experience any eye redness or discomfort, immediately remove your contact lenses and contact your eye doctor as soon as possible.
So, go ahead and put that perfect finishing touch on your Halloween costume. Just be sure to put the health of your peepers before making them look like scary creepers!